Certificate of proficiency

​​​​​Certificates of proficiency are issued on the basis of your qualifications and experience. Most certificates of proficiency are issued by educational institutions and course providers, while a few of them are issued by the Danish Maritime Authority.

Tanker operation certificates are issued only by the Danish Maritime Authority after having completed a course and the required seagoing service. Other certificates of proficiency are issued by our approved educational institutions

Record of service

Before applying for a certificate for which seagoing service is required, you must record your seagoing service via "Self-service".

Here, you can read more about seagoing service and find guidelines about how to record your seagoing service.

Apply online for your certificates

You must apply online for your certificates. This is the case in connection with the first issue, renewal, re-acquisition or if your certificate has gone lost.

When applying, you must have your NemID and your credit card at hand. We request a fee of DKK 855 for a certificate. You must attach a digital photo against a uniform background meeting the rules for passport photos; this is the case only for tanker operation certificates.

Apply for a certificate

At the moment, we need an average of five days to consider your application, but always remember to apply well in advance. Once you have applied, you will receive two emails. One confirming receipt of your application together with a case number, and one confirming receipt of your payment.

Should you have any questions or if you need to forward additional documentation for your case, you must answer the email received together with your case number.

In connection with future email enquiries, please leave out sensitive information, such as your social security number, since the internet connection is not encrypted. However, if you do submit documentation containing your social security number, please cover the last four digits.

When you have completed a special course for oil, chemical or gas tankers and have acquired three months' seagoing service as a ship's officer on a similar tanker, the Danish Maritime Authority can issue a certificate upon application.

In order to have your tanker operation certificate renewed, you must have completed three months' seagoing service during the last five years on board qualifying types of tankers.

​If you do not meet the requirements to renew or if your certificate of proficiency for tankers has expired, you must re-acquire your certificate.​

If you have lost your certificate, you must contact the training institution that has previously issued your certificate. If the training institution has closed down, you can apply for a re-issue from the Danish Maritime Authority. However, we can issue you with a certificate only if your certificate has been registered in our systems.

You can see which certificates of proficiency we have recorded on you, by logging into "Self-service".

Examples of other certificates of proficiency:

  • Able and ordinary ship's assistants
  • Watchkeeping certificate (STCW II/4)
  • Electronic rating (STCW III/7)
  • Certificate of proficiency in motor operation
  • IGF - Basic training for service on ships subject to the IGF Code
  • IGF - Advanced training for service on ships subject to the IGF Code
  • Polar - Basic training for service on ships operating in polar waters
  • Polar - Advanced training for service on ships operating in polar waters​

C​ertain qualifications must be refreshed every 5 years. Seafarers must hold a valid certificate of proficiency as documentation for the refreshed qualifications.
The qualifications that needs to be refreshed depends on the functions you have onboard.
You can read more about the refresher requirements here​.​


Seafarers, Certification and Social Affairs