Discharge books are used to documents seafarers' seagoing service. If you want a discharge book in order to document your seagoing service, you can apply from this page.

Danish seafarers are not required to have a discharge book. However, the Danish Maritime Authority recommends that you use a discharge book to document your seagoing service.

As a seafarer, you are responsible for documenting your seagoing service. You are also obliged to ensure that the discharge book has been filled in correctly by the master or that the shipowner issues a fartstidserklaering.docx.

You apply online for a discharge book by filling in the application form, which is to be submitted to the Danish Maritime Authority. When you apply online, you must have your NemID and credit card at hand. The following must be attached to your application:

  • A copy of the photo page of your passport, driver's license or most recently filled in discharge book.
  • A life-like photo against a uniform background. The photo must be in accordance with the passport regulations.

Apply for a discharge book

Should you have any questions or are required to forward additional documentation for your case, you must answer the email that you received together with your case number.
*In connection with future email enquiries, please leave out sensitive information, such as your social security number, since the internet connection is not encrypted. However, if you do submit documentation containing your social security number, please cover the last four digits.

Discharge books are issued at a fee of DKK 120. You should expect to receive your discharge book by mail within a week. You can choose an alternative address of delivery in the application as such.

If you need the discharge book faster, you can pick it up from the Danish Maritime Authority. Towards the end of the application process, you can choose to pick up the discharge book. You can pick it up from the reception of the Danish Maritime Authority the following day, at the earliest. Please remember ID and your receipt.

If you have lost your discharge book, you can order a new one online, but unfortunately the Danish Maritime Authority cannot insert your previously completed seagoing service in your new discharge book.